How to Install Android 4.1 JRN84D on Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Nexus users, you can now already have a taste of Android 4.1 (JRN84D) on your devices! At the Google I/O, attendees were given three gifts: a Google Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 7 tablet and the Nexus Q. That Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be loaded up with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (JRN84D) — preview release, as soon as you power it on.
The first direct link from Google to the Android 4.1 (JRN84D) OTA is already available online and you can download the OS on your phone and then update your Galaxy Nexus with the latest Android 4.1 firmware update.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your phone to the latest Android 4.1 software update.
HOW TO: Install Android 4.1 (JRN84D) on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Galaxy Nexus, then this should not be any different for you. However, for beginners, you need to root your Galaxy Nexus and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure.
Just To Remember:
- This Android 4.1 (JRN84D) is only for Galaxy Nexus (I9250, maguro) and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Galaxy Nexus on other carriers.
- Your Galaxy Nexus should be on IMM30D build or this update will NOT work.
- My phone had CyanogenMod recovery installed. Please make sure you have this recovery!
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 4.1 JRN84D (5a07884d325c.signed-takju-JRN84D-from-IMM30D.5a07884d.zip) for Galaxy Nexus on your PC, if you haven’t already.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Galaxy Nexus USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the 5a07884d325c.signed-takju-JRN84D-from-IMM30D.5a07884d.zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down and Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – Assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery, scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to 5a07884d325c.signed-takju-JRN84D-from-IMM30D.5a07884d.zip and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Nexus should have Android 4.1 firmware installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!
If you’re still not interested in trying out Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on your phone, try some alternatives: