Update Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 to Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread Firmware
Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070 is the successor to the popular Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 which came out almost two years ago. This phone offers all those features that the Galaxy S had and plus a few additional features and hardware upgrades also come with it.
Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread for Galaxy S Advance is more like a bug fix update since the last couple of firmware updates had issues with the bluetooth and compatibility of apps. You can always wait for the official Android firmware update to arrive for your region and update your Galaxy S Advance using Samsung KIES, or you can just follow our guide and update your phone manually.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Galaxy S Advance I9070 to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S Advance USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your phone to the latest Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread firmware.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance I9070 to Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread Firmware
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread firmware on Samsung Galaxy S Advance. Please read every line carefully below.
- This tutorial is only for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance (GT-I9070). Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Your phone should have atleast 60-70% battery when you try out this tutorial.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread for Galaxy S Advance to your computer and extract it anywhere.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which will help you to install Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread firmware.
Step 3 - Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode on your phone. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the Android robot. This is the Download Mode.
Step 4 - Make sure you have your SGS Advance USB drivers installed on your computer and your phone is successfully detected by your computer while the phone is in Download Mode.
Step 5 - Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 - Click on ‘PDA’ and select the extracted file from the one you downloaded in Step 1.
Step 8 - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked in ODIN — and ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’ are checked. Do not touch any more options.
Step 9 - Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance has now been updated with Android 2.3.6 XXLE2 Gingerbread firmware.
To ensure you have the correct firmware installed, go to Settings > About phone and check your Android firmware version. If you run into any problems, drop a comment below and we’ll help you fix it.