Google Maps 5.12.0 was released yesterday which brought minor new features to Google Maps on Android. Nearby live events have been added to Place pages in New York, San Francisco, Paris, Zurich, and London. This seems to be a beta feature which should soon roll out to other cities as well.
I have done this once before for Google Maps 5.9, and I will be again covering a tutorial on how you can install Google Maps 5.12 (Ownhere) with World Navigation activated and functioning for any country. Google Maps 5.12 Navigation has been hacked to be used with any country and it is the latest Google Maps release for now.
For those who are not aware, Navigation is a free, voice-guided GPS navigation system by Google that comes bundled with Google Maps on all Android devices.
How to Install Google Maps v5.12 Mod – with World Navigation Activated
Please read everything below and follow the steps carefully. The following tutorial is based on my step-by-step instructions on how to install Google Maps 5.9 with Navigation activated.
Features that are included in this Google Maps 5.12 mod are:
- Worldwide navigation using Google Maps Directions
- Map tiles caching on SD card
- Force-enabled multitouch, if you’re on Eclair or some custom Donut software and don’t have multitouch
- Zooming, then maybe this will enable it.
- Force-enable Buzz feature
- Fix for map shift issue in China
- Option to hide zoom buttons
- Installable on non-rooted devices
- Your Android phone should be rooted because Titanium Backup requires root access when making a backup. Root NOT required if you know how to install system files using ADB.
- You should have Android Market in your phone. Funny, but some countries like Saudi Arabia don’t have Android Market.
- Make a backup of your phone before you proceed below – just in case something goes wrong.
Need To Know:
- This tutorial was performed and tested by myself on my Google Nexus S.
- It is running on stock ROM (with root access).
- Screenshots below are old, based on my tutorial for Google Maps 5.9.
Disclaimer: Try this on your own risk. I’m not responsible if you mess up with your phone.
Now let’s begin with the tutorial:
1. Download and install Titanium Backup from Android Market.
2. Go to Backup/Restore tab and look for Maps.
3. Now tap Maps 5.12 (or whatever version you have) and press the ‘Backup !’ button.
4. Now look for Street View 220.127.116.11 (or whatever version you have), tap it and press the ‘Backup !’ button.
5. Go back to Maps 5.12 (or whatever version you have) from the list, tap it, press the “Wipe Data” button and now press the “Un-install !” button.
6. Now go back to Street View 18.104.22.168 (or whatever version you have) from the list, tap it, press the “Wipe Data” button and now press the “Un-install !” button.
7. Download Google Maps 5.12 (Ownhere APK) below and transfer it to the root of your SD card.
8. Install maps5.12.0-ownhere.apk using a File Manager. If the installation fails or your phone is NOT rooted, use ADB to install the file using the two commands below:
adb push maps5.12.0-ownhere-signed.apk /system/app
NOTE: If you’re having issues installing the APK file from ADB, rooted users can install it using Root Explorer (paid app). Tutorial given here.
9. Reboot your phone. You should now have fully working Google Maps 5.12 with Navigation activated for use in any country! Check it out in action in the screenshots below.
10. Now go to the Android Market and reinstall Street View.
This completes the comprehensive step-by-step tutorial on how to install the latest Google Maps 5.12 with World Navigation (Ownhere Mod) to work in any country. For any queries or problems, don’t forget to drop a comment below!